Clugston’s core activities today stem from its initial involvement with the iron and steel industry in the 1930’s.
In 1937 led by the present Chairman’s father, Clugston Cawood Ltd was incorporated and pioneered the development and use of recycled blast furnace slag from Scunthorpe’s iron and steel plants. This was initially used in a variety of building materials and later used for the construction of RAF runways in World War II. This led the company into civil engineering, road construction and sea defences on the east coast.
Steadily, Clugston expanded into related activities such as building, transportation and the provision of bulk services to some of the UK’s largest companies.
On the 29 January 2007 Clugston Group restructured so that the trading activities of Clugston Construction and Clugston Distribution previously operating as trading names of Clugston Limited, became established as limited companies in their own right.
Operating alongside these is Clugston Estates Limited which is involved in a variety of property developments.
The restructuring of the Group has meant no major change to either the management, organisation or trading activities of any of the companies.